You Are Reading

3

Only One Opinion (City of Fallen Angels)

literati_rain66 Wednesday, May 11, 2011 ,
City of Fallen Angels (Mortal Instruments, Book 4)Review of City of Fallen Angels, by Cassandra Clare. 

Quickie: A money-maker, but not in a good way.

Full: Honestly, I'm not even going to waste the effort typing out a summary. 1) Because there's not much to say and 2) Because I already spent enough time reading it.

I really enjoyed The Mortal Instruments trilogy. This... I don't really know what this was. I was satisfied and pleased with the conclusion of the trilogy. Sure, there were things that weren't completely settled or resolved, but that was just fine. It meant I could imagine the endings and futures myself. It was a good ending to a fun trilogy. And then there's City of Fallen Angels.

The writing was okay, it wasn't off-putting or anything. Standard Cassandra Clare writing. But the plot... I was disappointed in the plot. It's a lot of the same. Jace and Clary are angsting (again). Other things happen too, but the main story seems to be Jace and Clary's relationship. Maybe it was my expectations of the book, but I just didn't want any more of the Jace/Clary back-and-forth. I was expecting Simon's story. I was expecting a fresh problem. Not a re-hash.

The ending was (for me) the best part. Finally things were happening! The evil was big and interesting and worth reading about. Maybe not worth the couple hundred pages I had to read to get to that part, but still good.

In the end, I'm giving City of Fallen Angels...

2 out of 5 stars.

I hope you enjoy(ed) it more than I did. As always, this is only one person's opinion.

3 comments:

Tegan said...

boo it sucks. I still need to read this its down on the tbr pile. but all the same are you going to read City of Lost Souls and give it a try or are ya not going to bother

literati_rain66 said...

I'll probably give it a try. Hopefully she'll do what I wanted her to do in this book and stop the Jace/Clary madness.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree!! I really enjoyed the original trilogy and was quite excited to find out more about Simon ... so much so that I pre-ordered this book, which turned out to be a huge waste of money, LOL. I thought people were just being petty when I kept coming across negative reviews, but then I read it for myself.

Seriously, if she's run out of original ideas then she needs to stop writing. What's the point of tearing apart everything that she worked towards in the trilogy just to have more of THE EXACT SAME ANGST in this one?!

Post a Comment