You Are Reading

0

Really Ravishing Review (My Soul To Save)

literati_rain66 Wednesday, January 26, 2011 ,
My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers Book 2)Review of My Soul To Save, by Rachel Vincent. 

Quickie: Delightful. I had forgotten how much I liked this series.

Full: Kaylee Cavanaugh is a bean sidhe, or banshee as you may know them. Whatever the spelling (and bean sidhe is the correct one, props Rachel) their purpose is the same: to guide the souls of the dead safely to the next world. The other option is for a female bean side to catch the soul as it leaves the body and hold it, allowing a male bean sidhe to return the soul to the body, but only for a price.

Kaylee, her boyfriend Nash, and his undead Reaper brother Tod uncover a nasty deal between the biggest entertainment empire and demons. Rising teen stars are literally selling their souls for fame, fortune, and success. Tod becomes invested in uncovering the identity of the demon making the deals, and Kaylee & Nash can't let him do it alone. Kaylee couldn't live with herself if she allowed those souls to be tortured eternally without even trying to help. And Nash, well, he's in it for Kaylee.

Stopping the trafficking of souls is hard, but it's even harder when your father sets and enforces a strict curfew, sets up mandatory family dinners, and tries to make up for years of lost time all at once. How are you supposed to track down demon scum when your papa takes your keys?

I love Rachel's writing. I've said it before, and I'm saying it again. It rocks my fuzzy socks off. I love how detailed Kaylee's world is, how no question about it goes unanswered. Everything feels very complete.

Kaylee has made some wonderful progress personally, and I was glad to see it. She's taking bean sidhe lessons from Harmony Hudson (I love that name), Nash's mom, to harness her wail and make it work for her, rather than the other way around


The Netherworld was completely creepy and cool and I loved getting glimpses of it. As nervous as it made me having Kaylee there, I wanted her to stay longer so I could see more of the wonders it held. Okay, yeah, so she almost died.... but maybe later?

All in all, I loved the book. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

4 out of 5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment