You Are Reading


Fairly Flabbergasted Fence-Sitter (City of Bones)

literati_rain66 Monday, June 28, 2010 ,
Review of City of Bones, by Cassandra Clare. City of Bones is book 1 in the Mortal Instruments series.

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Quickie: I enjoyed 85% of the book. The other 15% made me want to vomit. I think it will depend on the reader's personality as to whether or not they will like this one.

Full: Well. How about that. I really don't know what to say. I think to properly voice my opinion, I will have to review City of Bones in two parts. The first 85%, and then the last 15%.

Was great. There was enough mystery, action, suspense, and romance to make me love it. Clary, our main gal, lives a seemingly normal life until one night she is witness to strange happenings in a club. The next night her mother disappears, opening up a whole new world for Clary. Demons, werewolves, vampires, warlocks- it's all there. Clary has to re-learn her past and discover her future, all while searching for her mother and the key to her rescue- the Mortal Cup.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Vomit. I can't say too much here, since this was the ending and thus riddled with spoilers. But I will say I saw the signs. I hoped like crazy that it wasn't going to turn out like I thought. But it did. I've never been mad at an author before, but I was here. I was mad at her for putting me through that. And for the poor characters. For the absolute horribleness of it all. I realize things like this are highly controversial, and some folks see no problem with putting it in a book. But well, I was put-off by it to say the least.

All that said, I still enjoyed the book, and I plan to read the rest of the series. I want to see what happens.

The plot was predictable at times, but that was okay. I do so enjoy being correct in my predictions. ;-) The characters were diverse and believable. She did a great job of making her characters "gray". Gray characters are neither explicitly good or evil, they are a combination. Her villain was pretty much a villain, but the rest of her characters were a good gray. 

I give this book 3 1/2 stars out of 5. 


Sandy said...

That last 15% I think I know what you are talking about, I haven't read the book yet but I've heard something in it that did not make people happy and wigged me out which is why I haven't read the book yet but I think things get cleared up in the following books which is why people love them. Or at least I hope -crosses fingers-.

Good review :)

Post a Comment