You Are Reading

0

Really Ravishing Review (Dead Beautiful)

literati_rain66 Sunday, July 4, 2010 ,
Review of Dead Beautiful, by Yvonne Woon. Releases September 2010. Ages 12 and up.

Quickie: Definitely worth the read, just stick out the longish beginning. Not a bad debut novel.

Full: Despite the long, slow beginning and the head-trip ending... I enjoyed Dead Beautiful. I went in cold-turkey, with no clue as to what the book was about. I was pleasantly surprised. An Academy cloaked in mystery, an impossible romance... = Love! I didn't want to put it down. The slow start (while a bit annoying) helped build the mystery and although it wasn't action-packed, it wasn't boring either. I just get impatient. :-p

Renee is unfortunate enough to discover both her parents dead in the redwood forest of California. Her grandfathers assumes custody of her and takes her from her life in California to a prestigious, although unheard of, boarding school in Maine. There she meets Dante, the mysterious and charming boy who reveals little of himself and doesn't talk to other students. Renee's roommate goes missing, and thus starts the unearthing of secrets and unraveling of mystery.

There were a few times when I felt the influences of "Twilight". I rolled my eyes, but I'm sure most girls will love it. You'll see what I mean when you read it. It didn't ruin the book though, so don't let that turn you off.

Being a total geek, I loved the philosophy and Latin aspects to the book. I was a Latin student, and everything about Latin and the culture surrounding the language fascinates me.

All in all, it was a fun ride and I'd recommend it to all you YA enthusiasts. :)

4 out of 5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment